Full-time, permanent position
The Family Mentor works in the Family Mentorship Program and is responsible for supporting families in their homes. They work collaboratively with families to set goals for their children’s health and well being while utilizing a strength based approach. The Family Mentor builds strong trusting relationships and provides support in: linking families with other services, providing relevant information and resources, helping parents/ caregivers with child development, and assisting families with positive parenting strategies.
In-home support is provided to families with children up to the age of five and those with prenatal needs. The Family Mentorship Program offers support on a weekly basis for families who are parenting for the first time and are experiencing multiple stressors that may impact their ability to parent successfully. As families develop support systems and learn to manage crises, the support visits decrease.
- Minimum of a Post Secondary Diploma in a Human Services field.
- Registration, licensing and/or certification as required by relevant Professional Bodies.
- Three (3) years direct experience working with families and children in their homes, including those who are marginalized and/or culturally diverse.
- Ability to speak an additional language is an asset.
- Solid knowledge of child development and family dynamics.
- Knowledge in maternal and infant health and knowledge in prevention of child abuse and neglect.
- Familiar with community resources to facilitate appropriate referrals.
- Team player
- Computer literate
- Valid Police Information Check and Alberta Children’s Services Intervention Check.
- Access to a reliable vehicle and 2 million liability insurance
Hours of Work:
37.5 hours/week; willing to work a flexible schedule, which includes daytime, evening, and possibly weekend hours.
Deadline for applications: Friday, November 15, 2019
Forward resume and cover letter, as an expression of interest to:
Program Services Manager